I stumbled upon this celebrity behavior a while ago, and to be honest I was amazed. Or maybe I’m naive and “this is how the world works”. Say there is a celebrity who wants to do some charity work (to feel good or look good, who knows). So she proposes to a bunch of business people:
- Let’s do an event in your town, sell 500 tickets at $200 for a total of $100k, and “100% of the proceeds go to charity”. Are you in?
- But for me to show up to the event, for you guys to be able to claim “We got her to come visit for charity”, you’ve got to pay me personally $1M.
How do you feel about this?
- Praise the people who paid $200, which is going straight to charity?
- Praise the business people who paid $1M to generate $100k for charity?
- Damn the business people for being so star-struck that they paid $1M to the celeb, instead of straight to the charity they claim to care so much about?
- That celebrity is a lot of things, but a giving personality concerned with charity she ain’t?
I’m feeling a mix of all four. How about you?
I promise I’ll get back to cycling in my next blog.