Year of True Cycling
What do you get when you combine an awesome experience at l’Eroica with the sewage from Lancegate? The realization that cycling is the greatest sport on earth.
And if a bunch of doped up bozos can’t agree with that without sticking a needle in their arm, that’s their problem. It shouldn’t be yours or mine. So the next 12 months I’ll try to participate in the greatest cycling events on earth in what I have dubbed the “Year of True Cycling” (as opposed to “true racing” which seems to be anything but).
By great event I mean events that are simply about you, your bike and an awesome road or trail to get across. Equal parts suffering and enjoyment in the most beautiful stadium on earth – nature.
I started October 7, 2012 with the Eroica (did the pretty mild 75k version on a 1970′s Gargiulo) and I will finish it at the same event on October 6, 2013 by attempting to suffer through the full 210k on a pre-WWII steed.
What I’ll do in-between, time will tell. If you have suggestions for great road or mountain bike events, please let me know (contact info here). Some I’ve done in the past and loved, some I’ve never done but am eager to do. And some I may never have heard of until you tell me! So far I’m thinking:
- Oct 7: l’Eroica, Chianti, Italy [report]
- Nov 24: The Pancake Ride, Ontario, Canada [report]
- Nov 25: Durham Roubaix, Ontario, Canada [report]
- Nov 28: The City Loop, Ontario, Canada
- Dec 2: To Hell and Back, Ontario, Canada
- Feb 28-Mar 2: Grape Escape MTB Challenge, South Africa
- March 30: Flanders Cyclosportief (140km version), Belgium
- April 1: Flanders – old course, self-organized, Belgium
- April 2: Dutch Mountain Classic, self-organized, Netherlands
- April 3: pAr1s-Roubaix, self-organized, Netherlands
- April 4: Unclaimed Land Loop, self-organized, Netherlands
- April 6: Paris-Roubaix Cyclosportive, France
- May 18: Almanzo 100, Minnesota, USA
- June 2: Hetiskoerskoers, Netherlands
- Oct 6: l’Eroica, Gaiole in Chianti, Italy
So there’s definitely room for some more. Also, if anybody has a lead on a pre-WWII bike, let me know!
I’ll also start a list of races for which there is no room this year but which I definitely want to do at some point:
- Cape Epic
- Tre Colli
- Maratona dles Dolomites
Oct 16: Added Flanders & Roubaix Oct 19: Added Grape Escape MTB Challenge
Feb 14: Removed Cape Rouleur & Cape Epic (I’ll have to put those on the list for the future), added Flanders Cyclosportief, Dutch Mountain Classic, pAr1s-Roubaix & Unclaimed Land Loop
May 8: added Almanzo 100 and added list for future years