Co-founder of Cervélo, the most engineering-driven bike company in history. Cervelo became the most popular triathlon bike in the world (Ironman World Championships bike count) and the most popular bike in the pro cycling peloton (Cyclingnews reader poll) within 10 years of its founding.
Cervélo’s engineering was showcased through a unique marketing strategy, rewarded with the BRAINy industry award and featured in David Meerman Scott’s bestseller “The new rules of Marketing & PR”.
In 2009 we started the Cervelo TestTeam to change cycling. Despite the achievements (better fan access, giving riders a wider perspective than just winning races, being truly open to work with our sponsors on product development) and even becoming the world’s #1 team after only 5 months, CTT was shut down after 2 years due to the economic climate. A very bitter pill to swallow.
In February 2012, Phil and I sold Cervélo to Pon, and currently I am working on several new ventures:
- OPEN is a new company started by Andy Kessler and me. Working hard to stay small, we focus on making the best possible mountain bike and interacting with customers & retailers as much as possible. Contact me anytime at email@example.com.
- very simple BV is a small firm specialized in thinking differently for global-small-business.
For better or worse, I put some of my thoughts on bikes and business here. As to the why, a combination of nature and nurture I guess. At any rate, I do know the “why” of bikes:
Fast enough to get through the forest,
yet slow enough to see the trees.
The best way to contact me is via my email. A few notes:
- I’ll do my best to answer any questions about riding, racing, bikes, business, etc.
- Specific questions about Cervelo are best addressed via Cervelo customer service.
- I am not interested in investment opportunities (not even if your father is a recently deceased Nigerian general and you need help getting the money out of the country).
- Regarding any new projects; time (or is it twitter) will reveal all.
Disclosure: Since I have been in the bike business all my life, chances are that when I write about bike equipment or other related issues, I have or have had some sort of business relationship with the companies involved. Just so you know.