Cycling is fast enough to get through the forest,
yet slow enough to see the trees.
Co-founder of Cervélo, the most engineering-driven bike company in history. Cervélo became the world’s most popular triathlon bike (Kona bike count) and the most popular bike and pro road bike (Cyclingnews reader poll) within 10 years of its birth.
Cervélo’s difference was not just in engineering but also in its marketing, rewarded with the BRAINy industry award and featured in David Meerman Scott’s bestseller “The new rules of Marketing & PR”.
In 2009 we started the Cervelo TestTeam to change cycling. Despite the achievements (better fan access, giving riders a wider perspective than just winning races, being truly open to work with our sponsors on product development) and even becoming the world’s #1 team after only 5 months, we had to shut CTT down after 2 years due to the economic climate. A very bitter pill to swallow.
In February 2012, Phil and I sold Cervélo to Pon, and currently I am working on several ventures:
- OPEN is a company started by Andy Kessler and me. “Working hard to stay small”, we focus on making the bikes we want ride and then offering those to our customers. No marketing, no sponsorships, no exponential growth. Just “relentless simplicity. Contact me anytime at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 3T Cycling is one of the true original bike component manufacturers in the world. Together with René Wiertz, we try to add new chapters to its incredible history.
- very simple BV is a small firm specialized in thinking differently for global-small-business.
The best way to contact me is via my email. A few notes:
- I’ll do my best to answer any questions about riding, racing, bikes, business, etc.
- Specific questions about Cervelo are best addressed via Cervelo customer service.
- I am not interested in investment opportunities (not even if your father is a recently deceased Nigerian general and you need help getting the money out of the country).
Disclosure: Since I have been in the bike business all my life, chances are that when I write about bike equipment or other related issues, I have or have had some sort of business relationship with the companies involved. Just so you know.